We have nearly finished this really lovely and unique garden gate. The ‘Anemone gate’ was one of those exciting commissions which fires everyone’s enthusiasm for our work. Working to Andy’s unique design, with plenty of input from our clients, a team of blacksmiths set to work on the forge. Jason, Simon and Cecilie were all involved in it’s making.
This sequence of pictures show the team at work forging what is largely a traditionally-made gate. For those who have a technical level of interest, you might like to know…
- The gate frame was made with forged tenons
- The gate styles were upset and formed (4 inches of material disappeared during this process!)
- The flowers were forged from 3mm sheet steel, they were constructed with ball and thread, drilled and tapped into the stem.
- The long tapers were drawn out to form stems which were then upset at the bottom to give a natural flared look.
- The neat collars were put on hot
- The lettering for the property will be laser cut in stainless steel and fixed to the plate at the bottom of the gate.
- The finish? Well… it will be galvanised and then hand painted!
We’ll blog some more pictures of this project as the gate nears completion.